Thursday, December 15, 2016

Oops! Wrong File.



Editing the wrong file!


This is a tip from my writing presentation, “Taming Technology.”

I love to revise and edit. The first draft is the hard part for me.

When I revise, I end up with multiple versions. I give each one a number at the end of the file so I can keep track of the newest version. An example,“My Story 43. doc.” I also save all those old files just in case. Imagine my shock when I discovered I was revising the wrong file one day. All that work on the wrong version! Imagine my shock when I did it again! I finally figured out how to avoid this.

My solution? Color!

It’s simple. Now every time I save a file for the last time I change the page color of the whole file. In Word, simply go to the Page Layout tab, click on Page Color, and choose your favorite color. I use a light blue. Now when I look back at an old file to see my original words, I know not to revise on that version. It works.




I also use this on files returned from editors, beta readers, and critique partners. I open both files side by side on the computer screen or on a second monitor, depending on where I am working, and know which file to work on.

3 comments:

  1. I never save previous versions. Out they go! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article, it was really informative. Thanks for sharing..
    Projector For Rent In Delhi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it helps. It helps me. I keep everything.

      Delete